01 March 2009

to be a good person


Is there a parameter to measure the quality of a good person?

I always ask myself about this question but never feel satisfied with all answers that I’ve got.

A religious site which I’ve found by googling states that a good person at least should have these characteristics; showing kindness to all people & obeying the law

I think it’s not enough. It’s just meet minimum requirements, maybe it's only valued 2 from a 10-score scale. There are still a lot of things should be fulfilled.

For sure we all want to be good, but it’s not easy. Sometimes it’s also related with the 2 sides of our heart “wants & desires”. The struggle to do good stems from the two conflicting inclinations in every human being. A person has two hearts: one that loves to do the right thing, and one that prefers to be selfish. We need to develop an awareness of the struggle going on inside us. This conflict is between our body and soul. It can be very confusing to sort out that which we desire from that which we want.

Since the meaning of "good" is very relative, I agree that we have to set our own definition. A proper definition of "good" is the starting point of everything we do in life. Obviously we can't just invent our own definition of what "good" is. We have to investigate reliable sources, and then analyze which one best describes the human condition and reality.

For me, to be a good person needs extra hard works and sacrifices. But it's what I trully seek. Pursue wisdom to understand how to be good. Make goodness my goal in living. Be willing to give up everything. Others might call me a fool, but I always win when I do the right thing. I'm not doing anyone any favors by being good, I'm simply doing what the "inner I" wants

By now I still confuse about these bullshit parameters. And I believe I haven't deserved to stamped as a good person yet. YES I'm still not good enough to go to heaven! But that's fine by me. Coz I'm during my process...enjoying my journey to be a better person in every singgle day. And in that process, I'm going to become not just good, but great!

"When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad and that is my Religion." (Abraham Lincoln)

No comments: